The clinical edge program has been designed for nurses returning to bedside practice who require updated knowledge and skills. It is a 12-week program structured to provide a gradual increase in clinical responsibility and independence while integrating theoretical components.
The program offers four tracts from which the applicant may select:1. Adult patient care
2. Pediatric patient care
4. Behavioral medicine
Program content includes:
- Introduction to acute/intermediate adult patient care
- Perioperative core classes - selected
- Introduction to pediatrics
- Pediatric critical care
- IV Skills and PICC care
- Adult physical assessment
- Comprehensive perspectives & concepts
- Basic arrhythmia recognition and interpretation
- Mock code
Classes attended will vary according to the tract selected.
Email for information.
Upon completion of the clinical edge program, the participant will be able to:
- Demonstrate strengthened clinical and psychosocial assessment skills in care of the patient and family.
- Describe and discuss the pathophysiology of selected illnesses and injuries.
- Participate in appropriate nursing management of patients with a variety of illness, injuries, etc.
- Compare standard and updated techniques and technologies, as well as new and evolving therapies for the ill or injured patient.
- Examine current societal trends and professional issues which influence the practice of nursing.
- Nursing degree from accredited school of nursing in the USA
- Minimum of six months experience as an RN
- Greater than three years away from the bedside
- Personal health insurance coverage
- Private liability insurance coverage
- Rubella titer for pediatric tract
- TB skin test clearance within the last 12 months
- Current California RN license
- Current CPR certification
- ACLS or PALS certification recommended for ICU areas
- Three personal objectives for the program
- Two letters of reference
- Applicants will be interviewed
Tuition for the complete 12-week program is $2000 payable in advance by check, money order, or major credit card to Loma Linda University Medical Center. Tuition includes precepted unit time (approximately 20 days), continuing education credit (approximately 72 hours), course materials and skills checklist.
Applicants are interviewed and selected by the Clinical Edge Selection Panel. A full tuition refund will be given for cancellations within 14 days of the start date, minus a $50 processing fee.
The program administrator is Helen Staples-Evans, RN, MS, CNA, director for staff development.
For more information or to receive an application contact Gwen Wysocki at (909) 558-3500, or (909) 558-4000, extension 37816 or by email .